Nothing says cozy evening more than a rich Guinness stew with cheddar chive biscuits. This is an absolute crowd pleaser and is bound to warm you up this season! This recipe yields enough for 4-6 people.
Guinness Beef Stew Ingredients
- 2 pounds West Side Beef Stewing Beef
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of Guinness
- 4 cups WSB Beef Stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
Cheddar Chive Biscuit Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp mixed chives & parsley
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a dutch oven or cast iron pot. Season the beef with salt and pepper and in the pot, brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the onion, celery, and carrots until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir in the tomato paste.
Pour in the Guinness and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and stir, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add beef back to the pot and add the stock. Add the bay leaves & thyme.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover and simmer for another ½ hour.
- Mix a tbsp of cornstarch with a tbsp of cold water to form a slurry. Mix into the stew and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to a simmer again, stirring occasionally. Cook for 10 minutes, uncovered until the stew thickens to desired consistency. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir together the dry ingredients for biscuits in a medium bowl. Add in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheddar cheese, then add the milk and combine until it forms a ball.
- Make smaller balls with the dough and place them on top of the stew, leaving them room to puff up. Place the stew in the oven uncovered and bake until the dumplings have risen, for about 40 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy warm!